DEVLOPMENT + SECURITY + OPERATIONS
In a traditional Software Development practice security is often an afterthought, formed to assess software security standards only towards the end of the lifecycle using a specialist team who often work on silos without understanding the story so far. However, after agile software development and DevOps have revolutionized the software development approach emphasizing on speed to market, gone are those days of deploying applications without embedding security controls early in the development life cycle.
While DevOps focuses on transforming the organization by identifying toil between development and operational dependencies, security was still a left-out practice until DevSecOps was introduced as a concept to integrate security practices within the DevOps process. The DevSecOps, like DevOps itself, is focused on creating new solutions for complex software development processes within an agile framework.
Many highly prepared organizations (45%) embed security into their DevOps processes and almost as many (41%) integrate security in at least four stages of the development life cycle.
DevSecOps involves cultivating a ‘Security as Code’ culture with ongoing, flexible collaboration that prioritises secure development and speed rather than attempting to separate the concepts. It is a collaboration of the DevOps teams with cybersecurity and system security personnel, where the focus is on finding faster and more efficient ways to safely deliver codes in agile architecture. DevSecOps strives to bridge the gaps between IT and security while responding to bottlenecks in the existing environment.
How to establish effective DevSecOps practice
Wimoku recommends – To establish an effective DevSecOps practice and reap benefits strategically
- Execute an iterative multi-phased DevSecOps implementation plan to achieve security and compliance objectives while de-risk investment
- Integrate security from the start and across the pipeline
- Track and monitor each software stack meticulously to identify which needs patching.
- Implement code dependency checks, vulnerability assessments and best practices in discovery test process for security testing
- Enable security scanning needs across the entire software delivery cycle using SAST, DAST and SCA
- Cultivate DevSecOps culture by providing training on secure development and its important application security
At Wimoku we have a unique implementation framework to implement DevSecOps into your existing DevOps model or for developing a bespoke model that fits your investment and business priorities.
Implementing DevSecOps will bring massive economic and technical advantages to an organization, apart from equipping with the capabilities to create, run and offer state-of-the-art software/applications. Organizations wanting to remain relevant and competitive in the industry must consider integrating security in their DevOps maturity model.